Questions and Answers
Frequently asked questions regarding recordings Hemi-Sync®: General
- Question: In a nutshell, what is Hemi-Sync®?
- Answer: Hemi-Sync® is a scientifically based and clinically proven "audio-guidance" technology that uses sound to influence brain-wave activity. This patented, and highly sophisticated technology is backed by over 50 years of research.
- Question: How does Hemi-Sync® work?
- Answer: The audio-guidance process works quite simply by sending different sounds (tones) to each ear by stereo headphones. The two hemispheres of the brain then act in unison to "hear" a third signal - the difference between the two tones. This is not an actual sound, but an electrical signal that can only be perceived within the brain by both brain hemispheres working together. The result is a focused, whole-brain state known as hemispheric synchronization, or "Hemi-Sync" - an optimal condition for improving human performance.
- Question: Is Hemi-Sync® on all the tapes and CDs?
- Answer: Yes.
- Question: Are all titles available in both tape and CD format?
- Answer: No. However, we have a separate listing of everything available on CD.
- Question: Are the Hemi-Sync® frequencies the same on each title?
- Answer: No. The Hemi-Sync® process has evolved into a sophisticated multi-layering of Hemi-Sync® signals - "designer mixes" of sound frequencies, fashioned to be optimally effective for a given application. Naturally, Hemi-Sync® sleep products incorporate predominately delta frequencies; learning products predominately beta and so forth. However these designer mixes are supplemented with special sound frequencies, which enable the desired result. This is the "key" to the effectiveness of Hemi-Sync.
- Question: How long are Hemi-Sync® tapes and CDs?
- Answer: Most are between 30 and 40 minutes long. Timing varies to accomplish the purpose of each listening experience.
- Question: Can someone with hearing loss benefit from Hemi-Sync®?
- Answer: Yes. Doctors and individuals with impaired hearing tell us that the frequencies are effectively carried to the brain by the bones in the ear canal.
- Question: Is Hemi-Sync® like hypnosis?
- Answer: Yes, they are similar. Hypnosis is an induced, altered state of mind, in which the body is deeply relaxed, sufficient to be temporarily ignored, except for demands like bladder fullness, etc. It is sometimes described as "focused concentration." This "state" is one in which the participant has perhaps even more control over the body and self than in "ordinary" states of consciousness.
Witness the fact that hypnosis is sometimes used for pain control in minor surgeries, childbirth, and even dentistry. It is an expanded state of awareness, in which one can be fully aware of the sensory data from the environment, (sound, light, temperature, etc.) and at the same time can develop awareness of other data sources as well, such as past lives, out-of-body information, information from guides, one's inner self, etc. Neither state can "make" you DO anything. You are able to maintain your faculties for choice and value systems, including choosing to follow suggestions from the therapist or not.
Hemi-Sync® is designed to leave control in the hands of the listener as well. In this sense, it's somewhat related to self-hypnosis. Hemi-Sync® does not "make" you do anything. It simply creates an effect that helps you move into a certain state, providing that you relax and are open to responding to the Hemi-Sync® process.
- Question: Are Hemi-Sync® products subliminal?
- Answer: No. Subliminal recordings have the intention of embedding a particular thought in the mind of the listener by recording words at sub audible levels, often at high speeds. Hemi-Sync® sound patterns, although recorded at a sub audible level, are not verbal messages and are not recorded at high speed. The purpose of Hemi-Sync® sound patterns is to assist you in obtaining the focused brain state you desire.
- Question: Some Hemi-Sync® tapes have sections in which the voice is too low for me to understand. Isn't that subliminal? Or is it a defect in the tape?
- Answer: No to both questions. By the time the voice becomes low in volume, you are in an extremely relaxed state or perhaps asleep. The words you may not understand are simply a repetition of earlier sections of the recording. They are repeated for purposes of reinforcement, at a very low volume so as not to interfere with your state of relaxation.
- Question: Is Hemi-Sync® recommended for children?
- Answer: All nonverbal recordings are fine for children. With verbally guided titles, we recommend you listen first and then decide based on your child's level of maturity.
- Question: How does Hemi-Sync® Compare To Other Products?
- Answer: We occasionally receive inquiries from individuals desiring to know how Hemi-Sync® compares to other brain-wave products they may have heard about. It would be inappropriate for us to comment on specific products or technologies but following are some observations we can make with regard to Hemi-Sync:
- Robert Monroe's pioneering work with hemispheric synchronization (Hemi-Sync) sound patterns inspired an entire industry of mind/brain products and technologies.
- Hemi-Sync is a technologically sophisticated process that has been awarded three U.S. patents.
- With millions of tapes and CDs sold worldwide, Hemi-Sync® has been shown to be a highly effective, safe, time-proven technology.
- Improving the efficacy of Hemi-Sync® has been a continually evolving process—which we have remained committed. Today's Hemi-Sync® has been refined with over 40 years of research and development and is supported by numerous studies, reports, articles and testimonials available at www.Hemi-Sync.com.
- Hemi-Sync® has been scientifically and clinically proven to be effective.
- Over the years, the Hemi-Sync® process has evolved into a sophisticated multi-layering of Hemi-Sync® signals—"designer mixes" of sound frequencies, fashioned to be optimally effective for a given application. Naturally, Hemi-Sync® sleep products incorporate predominately delta frequencies; learning products predominately beta and so forth. However, these designer mixes are supplemented with special sound frequencies which enable the desired result. This is the "key" to the effectiveness of Hemi-Sync.
- Ongoing Hemi-Sync® research has resulted in the development of scores of individual products for specific applications such as focused attention, stress reduction, meditation, sleep enhancement, and pain control, to name a few.
- Other Hemi-Sync® products are available as a series (some of which are progressive in nature) such as the Gateway Experience In-Home training program for exploring states of consciousness.
- We do not recommend using Hemi-Sync® in combination with other devices or technologies that influence brain activity.
Hemi-Sync® FAQ's - Equipment
- Question: What kind of equipment is required to listen to Hemi-Sync®?
- Answer: A moderately priced stereo player (tape or CD) will work fine. Top-of-the-line equipment is not required for Hemi-Sync® to work. Headphones are recommended for best results and a good set of headphones will contribute to your enjoyment. Headphones that enclose the ear are preferred to reduce ambient room noise and provide a more distraction-free experience.
- Question: Will conventional speakers work as well as headphones?
- Answer: You can use either. The greater the separation between the sounds introduced into each ear, the stronger the Hemi-Sync® effect. We generally recommend using earphones for experiential exercises, because earphones maximize the sound separation and tend to block out exterior noise. Speakers are also fine, and in fact may be preferable when you are playing Metamusic® or other nonverbal titles as background while engaged in another activity. Be in the same room as the speakers. To enhance the separation between the sounds, it is recommended to position yourself between the speakers, when possible.
- Question: How can I use earphones if I'm only comfortable lying on my stomach or side? And, what about getting tangled in the wires?
- Answer: You may wish to try "earbuds", which are designed to fit comfortably inside the ear. Earbuds are available at many stores that sell stereo equipment. Alternatively, use conventional speakers, placed on either side of your bed or try a stereo sleep pillow.
Cautions and Disclaimer
While many of our audio products contribute to wellness, they are not intended to replace medical diagnosis and treatment. DO NOT listen to Hemi-Sync® while driving or operating heavy equipment, or with other devices that may influence brain-wave activity. If you have a tendency towards seizures, auditory disorders, or other adverse mental condition(s) DO NOT listen to Hemi-Sync® without first consulting your physician. In the unlikely event that you experience any unusual physical or mental discomfort, immediately discontinue use. DO NOT reproduce Hemi-Sync® products or use with Dolby® or other noise-reduction systems. Doing so will diminish the effectiveness of the Hemi-Sync® signals.
All warranties whether express or implied, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are disclaimed.
- Question: Why am I not supposed to listen to Hemi-Sync® in my car?
- Answer: When driving, you should pay attention to the road. It's not advisable to move into other states of consciousness.
- Question: Why am I not supposed to listen to Hemi-Sync® if I have a tendency towards seizures?
- Answer: Seizures result from abnormal Brain Wave activity. Hemi-Sync's influence on Brain Wave activity might not be beneficial for someone with that tendency.
- Question: Is there a problem in making copies of Hemi-Sync® tapes for friends?
- Answer: Yes. Hemi-Sync® products are copyrighted. You would be breaking federal laws and therefore be liable to prosecution.